Monday 28 May 2012

Robert Land


As a continuation of last week's post, this is the family plot of Colonel Robert Land whose father (also a Robert) was helped by Ralph Morden. Land was shot and his pursuers followed a trail of blood until they finally gave up thinking he was probably dead.  But Robert I, now 43 years of age in 1778, had survived and received a grant of land in Niagara Falls where he lived for three years in a miserable state without his family before moving farther west (apparently to get away from the sound of the Falls). Meanwhile, his wife Phoebe and about 6 of his 7 children (one stayed in the Delaware Valley where they were living when the Revolutionary War broke out), thinking him to be dead had moved on to safety in New Brunswick but made their way to to Niagara for better prospects. After a few years they heard about a lone white settler named Land. Barely believing it could be true but hoping, Phoebe and her son Robert made the 50 mile trek and found him at this cabin. By now the family had been separated for 11 years. The reunited family stayed and settled and in 1794 Robert I and four of his sons were granted a total of 1112 adjoining acres. The younger Robert became a Freemason and would join the militia in the War of 1812 where he attained the title of Lt Col for his duties as well as receiving a land grant of a further 220 acres. He was also involved in the 1837 Rebellion. Though he retired soon after from poor health, he would live another 30 years and die at age 95. There is an interesting and informative story of the Land family history you can read here. The Lands are considered the founders of what is now Hamilton.
This family vault is unusual in that it is an underground vault and has no windows. He is buried with 20 members of his family within including his father, the first Robert Land (1736-1818). 
Col Robert Land 1772-1867 along with his wife Hannah Horning 1777-1870. They had eight children.

12 comments:

Paul in Powell River said...

They must have gone underground to get 20 of them in! Nice write-up.

Gemma Wiseman said...

The struggle to survive, (let alone live), of these pioneering families never ceases to amaze me! The vault looks a little like a chapel!

Francisca said...

Hah, I'd never thought of Hamilton as a place anyone "founded"... Now I know!

SeaThreePeeO said...

Fascinating post and a fabulous picture to go along with it. Thanks for sharing.

Herding Cats

Deb said...

Interesting story and an impressive family memorial. I can see how the noise of Niagara might get a little wearing 24/7!

Julie said...

I agree with Deb. The noise would do my head in!

That is a remarkable thing, to be reunited after 11 years. I hope they were all pleased!

What I particularly like about the vault is its modesty. I guess that is one of the things that such a struggle teaches one: self-worth rather than self-esteem.

CaT said...

wow, that is amazing indeed, their reuniting so many years later, by chance!

Melbourne Australia Photos said...

Interesting! The photo reminds me of a vintage postcard.

Jennifer Johnson said...

Great photo. I'm currently looking in to my family tree. I never heard about Robert before and found out that he is my 3 times great grandfather and Abel is my great great grandpa. This is the only photo I've found relating to the family. I'm only in Toronto. Looks like I need to make a little trip to Hamilton :)

hamilton said...

It is very easy to find.
How neat to have such a family connection! Thank you for letting me know.

Unknown said...

I've always loved this story. I especially get a chuckle from the line in the article "...the family name of Land has died out." With tongue in cheek, being a descendant, I'll have to write that down so I remember. :)

Anonymous said...

That made me chuckle as well. Robert land is my ancestor through is daughter Abigail Land.There are plenty of his descendants around.