The Grove Cemetery was established in 1852 to help out when the Union Cemetery in Dundas became full. It is located on land that was sold to William Hare in 1808. The Hares died of cholera during the epidemic of 1832 and were buried on their land. Before the Hares, the land was granted to Ann Morden and her family, who were the first settlers in the area, in 1787. United Empire Loyalists, her husband had been found guilty of treason and hanged in Philadelphia for trying to help a friend escape to Canada. Three of her sons had joined Loyalist armies and by chance met together after the war in Niagara where they then connected with Robert Land, the man who their father had helped. By then the best land around Lake Ontario had already been taken so when they brought their mother and remaining siblings to join them, they were granted land in the Dundas Valley.