Tuesday 14 August 2012

Sams

Irving Earl Sams was born, April 29, 1895 at Clarion, Iowa and died November 16, 1965 following a lengthy illness and failing health. Afteratending collegeand university he joined the United States Navy on April 7, 1917 during World War I, serving through April 30, 1919. After discharge from the service he was in the General Insurance business in Clarion until 1925. He joined Mill Owners Insurance Co. in 1925 being transferred to Hamilton, Ontario, Canada as General Manager in 1930. He continued his work with the company until retirement in 1956. 
     Irving and Kathryn Mae Keagy were married on September 4, 1919 at the bride's home in Independence Iowa, with Rev. Mackintosh Eppworth, grandfather of the bride performing the ceremony and Miss Margery Sams, Miss Mildred Oliff and Lawrence Lynn Sams as attendants. Two children were born to this union: 
Joseph Reed Sams (Joe) was born, August 18, 1923 at Clarion, Iowa. 
Henry Lee Sams was born August 28, 1929 at Clarion, Iowa. 
Both sons would also end up in the insurance business in the Hamilton area, although with different companies.
for a Taphophile Tragics at the Waterdown Union Cemetery               

6 comments:

Lowell said...

Irving was close to my dad's age, only my dad came from Kansas and never made it to Canada. Interesting. I wonder if the sons are still alive.

hamilton said...

according to the genealogy page on the Sams of Iowa, they were still alive in 2003, but I can't find any Sams listed in the area.

SeaThreePeeO said...

Beautiful headstone.

Beneath Thy Feet

Julie said...

The names I find interesting in this post. They are not names one would find in Australia very much at all - Irving Earl and Kathryn Mae. Well the Kathryn is found here ...

I like the headstone, too. I like its squatness, and its lack of religiosity. Is that a word? I guess the design is etched in rather than chiselled. I find this a tasteful modern headstone.

Anonymous said...

The two sons of my grandparents Irving Earl Sams and Kathryn Mae Keagy are no longer living. My uncle Joseph Reed Sams passed away on May 20, 2000 and my dad Henry Lee Sams passed away on Sepember 10, 2008.

Daniel Sams said...

Their son, Joseph Reed Sams (now deceased), was my grandfather, a member of Canadian Parliament, a strong proponent of fly fishing and one heck of a gentleman. He has a park named in his honour not far from where he passed away. Joe Sams Park, Waterdown, Ontario.