Monday 12 March 2012

Mary Amelia Robinson

resting
at Hamilton Cemetery

Mary Amelia Robinson was the daughter of Sir John Beverley Robinson, a baronet who was the most important member of the Family Compact (a brotherhood that ran the government in Upper Canada from 1815-1848) and also a Chief Justice who would oppose the uniting of Upper and Lower Canada. Perhaps being attracted to powerful, ambitious men like her father, she married Donald MacInnes who was a merchant and President of the Bank of Hamilton before being appointed to the Senate by Sir John A Macdonald. They had five sons and a daughter (Beverley Stuart, Donald Walker, Duncan Sayre, Jessie Lefroy, William Robinson, Charles Stephen) but I can't find if any of them entered into politics.

11 comments:

Sondra said...

Very interesting family, when we are placed in the ground, we are all back to even.

s.c said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
biebkriebels said...

Nice to read someone's life in a nutshell. There are so many stories to tell on a cemetery.

Lowell said...

That's a lot of information you gleaned from one tombstone. Fascinating stuff!

hamilton said...

well, I admit, I recognized the name of John Beverley and I remembered a bit of my history so I looked it up to see if it was the same man. It was exciting to see that it was. the rest of the marker is much harder to read, being more weathered.

Julie said...

Strikes me that the stone-mason did not leave himself sufficient space to carve all the writing required. Either that or he chose too big a font. I do like the bold angularity of this head-stone thought. Certainly in comparison with others of have seen on my rounds this week.

Thanks again for your post this week. I value it.

Herding Cats said...

Interesting post.

Francisca said...

I agree with Julie... that's one of the more messy carvings I've seen. But the story is interesting.

[Your comment on my post was astute. You're so right, this land is gaining value! Right now it's still controlled by the clan, but as the town grows, they may be forced to give up this farm land (and yes, expropriation is all too common).]

Melbourne Australia Photos said...

Very stern and severe-looking headstone!

Gene said...

They certainly filled the available space with text. Is the top of the marker flat? Or is there anything on top, out of frame?

hamilton said...

there is an orb with what looks like a flame on top. and yes, all four sides were crammed with information!